Electrical Wiring in the Home/Convert 12v lighting to 110v

Question
QUESTION: Hi Bob -
I live near the ocean and have lots of problems with the salt air, including with the transformer (which I've replaced twice) for the 12v cable lighting system across my kitchen ceiling. I've decided to convert this system to 110v and would like to know if this is possible by simply removing the transformer and replacing the bulbs (halogen type MR16).

Many thanks!
Frank

ANSWER: Frank,

No can do. That 12 volt set up is strictly for 12 volts. Operating it at 120 volts would be very dangerous.

Bob

QUESTION: Is that because of the exposed components?

Thanks again.

Answer
Yes and just the overall design of the set up is geared to 12 volts which would make 120 volt operation potentially dangerous.

The salty air can and does cause connection problems. They do make an anti oxidant ointment you can put on connection points to prevent corrosion. Over here its called "Penetrox" and there are some other names or manufacturers it goes by but it does work. This may or may not solve your transformer issue though. If you have electronic ballasts VS transformers which I suspect you do, they are not as hardy as transformers that utilize windings and a metal core to drop from 120 to 12 volts. They are almost indestructable unless you overload or short them out. Electronic ballasts use sensitive electronics to drop from 120 to 12 volts and as such are subject to burning out easily due to misuse or just burning out over time and use.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman