Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electric circuit question

Question
I have 3 simple circuits at my house for outside lights (front, side and rear)>  Each circuit is controlled by a single pole switch.  Can I install a 'master' single pole switch (say, in my bedroom) which would turn on all the lights at once (bypassing the existing switches) by wiring the master to each of the outside lights?  Would this cause any electrical circuit issues?  Would there be any problems if both the master switch and the existing switches were both turned on at the same time?

Answer
Terence,

This could be approached a few different ways as far as "hard wiring" goes and none of them are simple or easy for a home owner to do. You might want to consider using the "X10" system which uses the existing wiring in the home so no additional wiring is needed. The signals to each X10 device which can be a receptacle, or a switch is sent over the existing wiring from a small central control console that can control and over ride all devices or allow each one to do its own thing. You can still turn switches on or off manually as you need them or let the system do it for you. Its a great system when it works. I say that because you can run into communication problems depending upon how the existing wiring in the house lets the devices communicate with each other. You can install them on your own and it will do what you want it to do and even more like turning outside lights on and off at preset times. Give it a shot and maybe it will work in your situation. If not send them back for a refund. There's plenty of info on the internet about it just type in "X10".  It also goes under "smart home" devices as well I believe.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman