Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electric Stovetop wiring

Question
I am replacing my electric stove top. The wires coming out of the wall are black, white and bare. The stove top that I am replacing had black, white, red and green. The new stovetop also has black, white, red and green. I am grandfathered to use this wiring but want to make sure I am hooking this back up properly. What sequence should be used?

Answer
If the white with the new stove top is for a 120v supply (ie  fan, light, etc) then you have to run another wire.
If the white is not being used as a conductor then it gets connected to the ground wire.

This is the new wiring configuration:

Supply black to black of new stove top.
Supply white to red of new stove top.
Supply bare to white and green of stove top (if white is not being used as a conductor).  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes