Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical wiring

Question
tanning bed plug
tanning bed plug  
I have a tanning bed with this type of plug on it (see attached picture)& it requires 220v but all I have in my apt is 110v. (was told could run it straight from breaker box but my breaker box is not accessible to me)Is it possible to separate the 220v cord into two 110v cords & then be able to plug in regular outlet?

Answer
Angela,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that you can't do. You might however be able to do something else. Some where on the tanning bed there is a small label that says what the operating voltage is and what the wattage is or the amperage (amps). Take a picture of that and send it to me. If the bed doesn't consume that much in the way of power which I suspect it does not, you might be able to use a "converter" which is a device used by travelers for instance from Europe who bring their hair dryers or small appliances here that operate on 220. What it does is boost the 120 volts found in the vast majority of receptacles in US homes  to 220 or 230 volts.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman