Electrical Wiring in the Home/Lights don't work

Question
Hi Bob. Thanks in advance for volunteering. My house was constructed in 2007. We are original owners. Two days ago we noticed that we have two light switches that don't work on the first floor of our house. One leads up the steps and controls 3 lights. The other is near the door that leads to the garage. This one only controls one light. I checked all GFCI outlets that I could find on the first floor and they seem OK. I flipped all the fuses off and on one by one by the lights still don't work. I also flipped the main power off and on. I pulled both wall plates off and I don't see any loose connections.  The wires are all inserted into the back, not wrapped around the screws. Do you know what the problem could be? I should tell you that a couple of days before this I had to fix a loose connection in an outlet in the kitchen that was causing 3 other outlets next to it not to work but they are still working fine.

Thanks,
Paul

Answer
Paul,

I'm not a fan of wiring devices by sticking "stabing" the wire into the back of the device as opposed to using the screws. Its the "fast and loose" way of doing it but it is legal and contractors obviously use it to save money on labor. The problem is the end user YOU gets stuck when these potentially weak connections go bad. This could be your problem.

Check your breakers again by turning each one "firmly off" then "firmly on" to be sure its not a breaker issue. I don't think its the breaker because there is so little thats not working. It seems more like a connection issue.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman