Electrical Wiring in the Home/new wiring in unfinshed portion of basement

I am wiring 3 rooms in a previously unfinished portion of my basement. I am using 12/2 wire with 20 amp circuits. One circuit will be 10-12 outlets with 2 lights. One will be 8 lights with LED's. As I understand it the bathroom must be two additional circuits, one for lights and fan and one for GFCI?  Does this meet the IBC code? Also how high off of the floor should the bottom of the outlet boxes be?  Existing ones are 12in but someone at Home Depot told me they had to be 14in.

Try not to mix receptacles with lights. Keep them separate. Its not a code requirement but it greatly simplifies wiring and keeps it organized. You will know that yellow jacket cable is receptacles and white is lights. Also makes trouble shooting a little easier.

14 gauge wire is easier to terminate  switches and dimmers with and easier to put away in the box. Use the deepest boxes 3-1/2" and you won't go wrong.

The bath room GFI must be on its own 20 amp circuit with nothing else except another GFI receptacle in another bath room.

12 inches is fine. 1 inch would be fine too. Older homes from the late 1800's and early 1900's that were retrofitted with electric power typically had the receptacles mounted in the baseboard about 2 inches off the floor. This can still be done today.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.