Electrical Wiring in the Home/Popping sound I believe coming out of outlet

Question
I recently rented a apartment one evening I had a lamp plugged into this particular outlet and  I saw a flash of light. I happend to be using an extension cord  surge protecter type at the time. I wasn't sure of the cause but all seemed normal for the nested few hours. Outlet still worked. , later that day I realized the outlier, well my whole master bedroom no longer has electric to include a wall in adjacent room as well as restroom outlets. There is not a reset button on any outlets. It's older apartments. So I replaced the breaker 20 amp single pole. Still nothing. So I've been living off extension cords for the time being. However I have heard this popping sound  sparactically I thought nothing of until my friend also heard and we determined it's coming from wall outlet we don't even have the breaker plugged in at this point or before hearing sound. I'm wondering if this is a possible sign of  a much larger problem yet to come? Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Answer
Misty    I would make the apartment aware of the problem it is their deal to take care of the basics and outlets are basic,    yes  something is wrong,   something is arcing to make light and that means an uncontained arc is occurring in the outlet or in the wiring feeding the outlet,   there could be something backfeeding the outlet even with that breaker off,     

You need a good electrician to inspect the apartment and correct the problem which should be the problem of the apartment   they charge you for the rent   so they normally must correct these problems   you want to go on record ASAP         as the arcing is still happening this is not something to be put off,        if the apartment stalls there should be some sort of rent control agencie or some agency that inspects rental units,    find them and get this on record,     you might even try the fire department   mention you see arcing in an outlet and they may or should provide an inspection, for no charge     some cities have free electrical inspections for the asking  but get it on record  in case the arc does cause a problem  make sure your fire or smoke detectors are in good working order and demand this be taken care right now as it could be a small problem,  but arcs that are visible to the naked eye are normally not a small problem     fire is the biggest concern  plus you have a breaker off and still have arcing      PLUS you have extension cords running everywhere     you need to get this cleaned up right now,    it is asking for trouble,      

Do not take no for an answer and it may take going to the local news, whatever it takes  get someone to find the problem and fix it    

Any further help or questions let me know,    my personal email is wbwill@sbcglobal.net  if you see any further arcing or need support use my personal email it will come directly to me and I can get right back to you,        

It will probably be a frustrating battle but you must be demanding and not give in,   living with extension cords is bad enough and likely a problem on top of all else  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt