You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/running exterior electric cable betw adjacent properties


I live in a guest house,  separated by 25-35 feet from the main house.  Guesthouse is well-wired,  however, has no dedicated outlet for an electric stove.  The electric box,  with an available dedicated circuit for 240/220 V, and 40 amp wiring,  is on rear porch of main house.    Must install same to convert from gas to electric range.  Given the distance between two properties,  is it possible to run aerial cable directly to rear property,  or must we do an underground UF cable?
Yard between two properties is primarily grass and plants.

Mary Anne,  technically it seems fine,  the unknown is local codes. I take it you would prefer to run it overhead.

My problem is I have no idea where you are and what local codes apply.  It should not be difficult to find out,  there should be a local building inspector in whatever area you are in, and they will be able to let you know.

If you are trying to avoid even getting the local brain trusts involved,  [and I would not blame you]  I look at it this way.

It's your property and if you have the knowledge to string the wire securely,  then string the wire.

Personally I am sick to death of being told what to do with every facet of my life.

Another source would be the local library,  your area will use a version of the NEC,  for example in my area,  we use the next to last version of the code.

But then locales can and usually do have some kind of additions or ignore certain regulations.

You probably want to run four wire 230 although for decades three worked just fine.

A private contractor can tell you,  as a matter of fact there should be two or so, see if they agree.

That is a fair distance to have a length of wire that size hanging, but if you do it properly it should be no problem technically speaking, but again, it all comes down to local code.

The last thing you want is some sort of wind storm or heaven knows what,  rip the wire off,  and then insurance gets involved and now it is a mess.

Great question, and I would look it up for you, but they keep your information private here, which is another great thing about allexperts,  who do this for nothing more than helping others and paying forward.

Wish I could say one way or the other, again, if secured, and secured properly it is probably going to be safer than some of the local municipal installations.

But you do want to cover your rear as far as insurance goes, I went through a house fire, and it took 5 years off my life,  I am sure.

If it were me,  I would get two quotes from two different private contractors,  that should not cost you anything but time,   right there you will get your answer and get it double checked to boot.

Above is a generic sheet for an area in Illinois,  so you can see how they approach it.

One more thing, if you do find out you must bury the cable,  do call the 811 number, which will provide you the State information.

Below is a link with a drop down box to type your State in,  and it provides the State information.

I suppose another advantage of getting a couple quotes is you might be surprised at the cost,  good or bad,  but contractors should be able to buy the necessary devices,  at a decent price, and it might be that even doing this yourself is not much less than a licensed contractor.

One more hint on contractors,  if you go that route, don't simply let them show up. Before or after they come to provide an estimate,  go to their address and see what kind of outfit you are dealing with.

It will take a little time to go through this process but you will know everything you need to know to protect yourself from the powers that be, insurance and any other bureaucrats that have imposed their superiority on you.

I am sure you are guessing I am not a huge fan of self imposed "leaders".  However we are stuck with them until we figure out it is getting out of hand and do something about all these regulations that are growing like weeds.

If you get conflicting information, or have technical issues be sure and write me back, and if needed I will provide you my home email, if needed I will call whomever myself.

Good luck with your project and I wish I had a simple answer, but again it is all up to the local codes and whatever regs they have that either follow the NEC or modify it for whatever reason.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Will Babbitt


Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,


Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............


10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Awards and Honors

Past/Present Clients
Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses

©2017 All rights reserved.