Electrical Wiring in the Home/running exterior electric cable betw adjacent properties

Question
I live in a guest house,  separated by 25-35 feet from the main house.  Guesthouse is well-wired,  however, has no dedicated outlet for an electric stove.  The electric box,  with an available dedicated circuit for 240/220 V, and 40 amp wiring,  is on rear porch of main house.    Must install same to convert from gas to electric range.  Given the distance between two properties,  is it possible to run aerial cable directly to rear property,  or must we do an underground UF cable?
Yard between two properties is primarily grass and plants.

Answer
Mary Anne,  technically it seems fine,  the unknown is local codes. I take it you would prefer to run it overhead.

My problem is I have no idea where you are and what local codes apply.  It should not be difficult to find out,  there should be a local building inspector in whatever area you are in, and they will be able to let you know.

If you are trying to avoid even getting the local brain trusts involved,  [and I would not blame you]  I look at it this way.

It's your property and if you have the knowledge to string the wire securely,  then string the wire.

Personally I am sick to death of being told what to do with every facet of my life.

Another source would be the local library,  your area will use a version of the NEC,  for example in my area,  we use the next to last version of the code.

But then locales can and usually do have some kind of additions or ignore certain regulations.

You probably want to run four wire 230 although for decades three worked just fine.

A private contractor can tell you,  as a matter of fact there should be two or so, see if they agree.

That is a fair distance to have a length of wire that size hanging, but if you do it properly it should be no problem technically speaking, but again, it all comes down to local code.

The last thing you want is some sort of wind storm or heaven knows what,  rip the wire off,  and then insurance gets involved and now it is a mess.

Great question, and I would look it up for you, but they keep your information private here, which is another great thing about allexperts,  who do this for nothing more than helping others and paying forward.

Wish I could say one way or the other, again, if secured, and secured properly it is probably going to be safer than some of the local municipal installations.

But you do want to cover your rear as far as insurance goes, I went through a house fire, and it took 5 years off my life,  I am sure.

If it were me,  I would get two quotes from two different private contractors,  that should not cost you anything but time,   right there you will get your answer and get it double checked to boot.

https://www.ameren.com/sites/aiu/source/ILConstServ/Documents/GuidelinesforOHServiceResidential.pdf

Above is a generic sheet for an area in Illinois,  so you can see how they approach it.

One more thing, if you do find out you must bury the cable,  do call the 811 number, which will provide you the State information.

Below is a link with a drop down box to type your State in,  and it provides the State information.

http://www.call811.com/state-specific.aspx

I suppose another advantage of getting a couple quotes is you might be surprised at the cost,  good or bad,  but contractors should be able to buy the necessary devices,  at a decent price, and it might be that even doing this yourself is not much less than a licensed contractor.

One more hint on contractors,  if you go that route, don't simply let them show up. Before or after they come to provide an estimate,  go to their address and see what kind of outfit you are dealing with.

It will take a little time to go through this process but you will know everything you need to know to protect yourself from the powers that be, insurance and any other bureaucrats that have imposed their superiority on you.

I am sure you are guessing I am not a huge fan of self imposed "leaders".  However we are stuck with them until we figure out it is getting out of hand and do something about all these regulations that are growing like weeds.

If you get conflicting information, or have technical issues be sure and write me back, and if needed I will provide you my home email, if needed I will call whomever myself.

Good luck with your project and I wish I had a simple answer, but again it is all up to the local codes and whatever regs they have that either follow the NEC or modify it for whatever reason.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt