Electrical Wiring in the Home/Russian Samovar - 2 pin plug


Recently acquired a Russian Samovar (tea maker). The electrical plug has a 2 pin plug. How can I make a 2 pin plug compatible to USA electrical outlets. Research tells me if it is 220 volts both pins are hot and the slots are grounded and there is no reverse polarity. I am so anxious to know how I might be able to really "use" this Samovar. Is there an adapter available for this sort of 2 pin plug? I look forward to your advice. Thank You so very much.

Kathie   you will most likely need an adapter plug  which only converts the Russian plug to a US plug configuration and then a step down transformer to reduce the voltage to 110/115 US   As far as I know the cycles are either 50 or 60 in Russia  in the case of a tea maker I see no problem with cycles        


Above is a link to a country to country adapter vendor with photos of plugs and charts going both directions,      

I have no idea how large this tea maker is,  the cycles per second in the US ia 60, in Euope and Russia  50,  the current [amps} might rise slightly because the Russian device would be designed for us on 50 and we have 60     

Another option  it seems as most Europe type devices they are 220 volts to 380 volts,  on dual voltage,   

If you are sure the device requires 220 volts you could use 220 US by running a 220 circuit to the location of the TEA MAKER   much like a dryer that uses 220 volts,     

Grounds have nothing to do with operation only safety and an earth ground should be run with any voltage  from the main breaker to the outlet or device,      it does not effect operation again   it is a safety measure  but many device are two wire with no ground but they are double insulated so that is how they get around the three prong plug,     

NEXT versus purchasing a conversion kit from the link above or other device adapter vendor  if you can come up with the current rating of the TEA Maker and knowing it is 220  purchase a transformer   a generic transformer from 220 down to 110    I would buy a transformer slightly higher than the KVA rating of the TEA MAKER to know what size of transformer  

For Single-Phase KVA Ratings or Voltages
Amperes =
KVA x 1000 divided by volts     but you will have to find the full load current rating of the TEA MAKER  and hopefully some data exists on the device that states the amp load,  if not about all you could do is get an amp meter  which are not hard to find,   a clamp on type would be best     

Plug the tea maker into 220 volts and measure the current       

At that point you know the amps at 220    then you can calculate the transformer size need to convert 110 to 220 out to the TEA MAKER   as long as it does not exceed what is a normal US outlet with 110 volts  which is pretty standard at 15 amps  then you have it,  if over 15 amps  you again need a new circuit as breakers protect wire not devices,   and you would have to investigate if the wire size would hold 20 amps and change a dedicated circuit to an outlet for the TEA MAKER      

If there is any electrical data you can read on the device send it to me I might be able to get closer  

The simple method is to contact the link above and tell them what you have,  they are likely to have a chart with transformer and plug in a kit,   

I don't get a lot of questions on Russian Tea Makers, but volts and amps are volts and amps,  

WORST TO WORST and no one has ANY INFORMATION   you could mail it my shop we would use a variable voltage variable cycles test set and starting at 0 raise the voltage until we get to somewhere near the wire guage    wire guage is another clue   for example if it has a #16 conductor on the TEA MAKER  it is very simple to find the max amps for that guage of wire,   

That last method is full proof because you would never exceed the amperage the TEA MAKER WAS designed to use,    because amps are a result,       of the voltage and load,   

It would cost about $75.00 to determine the size of transformer needed   and to electrically inspect the condition of the MAKER      

My guess is the link above will have what you need in a kit and be done with it,  if you have problems let me know,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Will Babbitt


Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,


Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............


10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Awards and Honors

Past/Present Clients
Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.