Electrical Wiring in the Home/T12 to T5 conversion

Question
Hello and thanks for your time!

We presently have some two-lamp T12 fixtures which my girl friend wants to convert to T5 tubes.

I am trying to find a retro kit which includes everything she needs. I've seen kits for T12 to T8 conversion. Is one available for T5 conversion to your knowledge? If not a kit, is it possible to buy the parts needed to do the job?

Is it a difficult job?

Thank you!
Jim

Answer
Jim,

Aloha !

Yes there is and it is a bit expensive. Check out the link below.

You would have to change the ballast and use what is basically an adapter that you rotate into the existing sockets. Then you rotate in your new T5 into the adapter. The T5's are shorter than the T12's and they use a smaller socket thus the adapter.

Unless this is a very expensive or special fixture you want to save for some reason then your probably better off just buying a whole new fixture.

BTW how did the line for the pond pump go ?  

Is my rain check for a tour of the island still good ?

Bob

http://www.superiorlighting.com/T8_Or_T12_To_T5_Retrofit_Conversion_Kit_p/t5rfk6
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman