Electrical Wiring in the Home/Underground power line to house problem

Question
Hi.

Today half of the power went out in my house (new home, 2 years old). None of the breakers were tripped and resetting them didn't help. I called the power company and they came out to look. The meter had no numbers on it but the voltage was fine they said. They checked the power box down the street and that was fine also. The 2 main power supply wires in my breaker were also checked. One read 123 (volts?) and the other was only 7. The tech said it was a problem with the meter and he'd replace it. Then he came back and told me that it was a problem with the underground line running from the power box on the street to my house. He said 1/3 of it wasn't working and that I'd have to have an electrician look at it and replace it. For now, he said he installed a "power saver" to run my whole house off of only one line. Is this an expensive problem (how much) and what all needs to be done? Are they going to have to dig up the entire line from my house to the box that's way down the street? Shouldn't this be the power company's responsibility or whoever installed the faulty line in the first place? I don't understand electric at all and would really appreciate some advice!

Thank you.

Answer
Megan,

Here in the US or at least in my State of NJ the Power Company is responsible for the underground line that comes from their transformer (power box) to the house (your meter).

Who ever does the repair shouldn't have have to dig up the entire line, just find the spot where tha cable has "faulted" and fix it. But it will take time to find it first, then you have to dig down to it and fix it. Finding it is the biggest challenge but they make special equipment for that.

You can call the utility and ask them directly who is responsible and you can call your version of "Board of Public Utilitys". In the US it goes by State. Hence, "State Board of Public Utilitys" They keep an eye on the Utilitys to make sure they are treating the public fairly. So definitely give them a call and let them know what is going on. The rules on this may be different in Canada but I doubt it.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman