Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wet Crawl Space Wires

Advertisement


Question
Crawl space
Crawl space  
QUESTION: Hi--

I own a house at the NJ shore, built in 1950, which has almost all of the wiring going through the crawl space.  When Hurricane Sandy stopped by in October 2012, the whole area (underneath, but not inside the house, fortunately,) was flooded for a couple of days.  

I'm assuming the wiring was not intended to be exposed to water, let alone salt water.  Last year I had the insulation removed and the space dried and treated to prevent mold.  How long will the wires hold up before any risk of corrosion and fire hazard from the exposure to water?

Also, I have received several estimates for replacing the wiring from local electricians.  Do you know of electricians in the South Jersey shore area who have been in business for a while who  1) do not charge for giving estimates,  2) are reliable, and  3) are reasonably priced?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Ed. I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.
Sorry for your problems. I have friends and family who suffered similar damage from Sandy.

I am afraid that I am not familiar with anyone working down the shore, but at least, unlike in PA, they will be State licensed. Hopefully that suggests some minimum standard of performance.

You know what they say about wanting quick, cheap and accurate....hope for one.

For your information, I will give free good will estimates based on customer descriptions over the phone, but if I start the engine to put eyes on something, it is a service call, for which I charge normal rates.

Best of luck.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks for your response.  As far as the wiring that was exposed to the water, I'm sure it's probably better to replace it sooner rather than later, but do you have an idea how long it would take after exposure before it would be hazardous or dangerous?

Answer
The official position of all mitigation advisors I have ever seen say to complete a cleaning and treatment process (practically impossible) before energizing. If you can get it good enough to use at all you don't need to replace it.

I guess it depends on wire type, junction locations, exposure, etc.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Robert Wilber

Expertise

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

Education/Credentials
44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.