Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring basement lights

Question
light wiring
light wiring  
Hi Bob, I"m looking for some guidance with running a line of lights in my basement. My plan is to run a line of 12-2 wire with ground on a 20 amp breaker. I would like to put eight lights on it with 100 watt light bulbs. I'm using keyless porcelain bases. The reason is I already had the wire and an empty 20 amp breaker available. I have a 15 amp single pole light switch, is this ok to use or should I purchase a 20 amp switch? Are 8 lights ok to run on this line? I found this diagram online, how to wire lights, is this correct? Thanks!

Answer
Yes, you can use a 15 amp switch. Just make sure you don't use any of the sockets as plugs and plug something heavy into it.  The picture is correct, except the ground wire should be connected to any metal boxes or green screws. If you use plastic boxes, and there are no green screws on the sockets, then it is OK.

You may want to consider CFL or LED lights to save money on your electric bill.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle