Electrical Wiring in the Home/220-240 Volt Question

Question

I was testing a 220V 50A GFCI breaker and here are the readings I got:

White to Black wire  158V
White to Red  wire     81V
Red to Black wire     240v.

I thought the readings should be 110v to 120v between the White to Black wires and White to Red wires.

Is this ok, or should I call our local power company?

I am wanting to connect a 220V spa to the supply. We have nothing in the house now that is 220V (converted stove, dryer and water heated to gas years ago).

Thank You,

Lon

Answer
The white wire is not connected properly somewhere between where you are checking it, and where it joins the other white wires in the house that are working properly.  If your whole house is not half bright, half dim, then it probably is not at the power company's lines.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle