Electrical Wiring in the Home/Panel Identification

QUESTION: I have an inspector asking me to prove my main panel is at least 125A before we can have any work done on the subpanel for my garage.

I am fairly certain it is 125A because all the other houses in the neighborhood are - but we have a wide variety of panels (no idea how that happened. The tract went up pretty much at the same time). I can find only one other panel like mine in the neighborhood (largest model in the development), but it is missing the rating label too.

The rating label was missing when I bouht the house, but the manufacturer's label says the panel is a Sylvania 390-205-02. House was bulit in late 1970s.

I have searched google (etc.) and find nothing. Any idea how to identify the panel? I would hate to replace a panel if not needed (or just because I show a label).

What is his reason for wanting to know this ?

What size is the main breaker for this panel ?

Is the main breaker an integral part of the panel ? In other words does it occupy its own special location apart from the other breakers in the panel ? Or is the main breaker in its own completely separate enclosure ?

Can you send me a picture of the panel ?

QUESTION: I am trying to add solar to my home and the inspectors won't even talk to me until I prove this panel is at least 125 amps (or replace the panel). I don't actually have to make any changes in this panel for solar. I will add it to one of the subpanels - but

The panel I am trying to identify is the main load panel next to the meter. It only has two slots in it which feed two subpanels. One slot has a 100A breaker and feeds the breaker panel for the house (which I replaced 12 years ago with a nice square D panel). The other slot has a 60A breaker that feeds a subpanel that handles our air conditioners and my garage (also a square D panel I added about 18 years ago).

One thing driving me crazy is that I had permits when I changed/added the subpanels, and those permits say the main is 125A, but apparently this inspector won't accept that as evidence that the panel is actually 125A.

I would be happy to post a picture, but I am not sure how to do that.

Unfortunately its all about liability today. If it doesn't say it and you can't prove it in a court of law then your stuck. The insurance companys run our lives. Its an old panel, no sticker , no proof , we can't accept it. On the plus side it shouldn't cost that much to change out and its a shame you ultimately will have to do that if you want to go forward.

I had a similar situation with a whole house generator. You can locate a generator up to 18 inches away from a house IF the house has one hour fire rated siding. Generally speaking Aluminum siding has a one hour fire rating. But try to find that documentation on 30+ year old aluminum siding when the inspector asks to see it. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and open your wallet.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.