Electrical Wiring in the Home/Rewiring

Question
I have a lamp that uses a three way lightbulb. I need to rewire this. My lamp cord has two wires one with some very small writing on it but they both appear to be copper colored with silver  ends. The lamp socket has a gold and a silver screw for the wires. How do I know which wire goes on which screw...

Answer
The wire that goes to the threaded part of the socket, most likely the silver screw would go to the wire that goes to the wider prong on the plug.  You may need to lay the wire down flat and trace it from the wider prong to see which wire that is.  Although most lamp cord either has a groove on one side, or writing on one side, so that should make it easier to tell the two wires apart.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle