Electrical Wiring in the Home/strange electrical

Every thing is on but there is no power, turn on the stove but the burners don't turn on. Turn on the microwave it wont heat anything. The lights work, the tv works, the  frige works. The dryer turns on but it won't heat up. Do you know what happened.

Donald,  This is more than strange. Is your home totally electric?

Let me ask this as this is so weird.

The fridge works   that is major power for it,  the stove doesnt  the microwave doesn't   and the dryer doesnt     at first I thought Kitchen circuit,    but where is the dryer?

What appears to be going on is some kind of open or loose neutral,  it would allow voltage to pass    that would turn on low AMP stuff,  but large AMP stuff it would not allow to pass,    

If you just said the two In the kitchen   I would say absolutely look at the feed to the Kitchen,  but then you mention the dryer,  unless it is in a mud room or located close to the other two,   then I would look at the feed to the kitchen,     

How are your breakers   any tripped?

Look in your main box and look for anything tripped, and look for the specific connections to the STOVE  it should be a 220 circuit double pole circuit, by itself,    the microwave uses a lot of power,  but is 115   but if the neutral is half open or loose, bad earth ground that would explain it,   

History     any storms,   any severe dryness  ??    Take a look at your ground wire outside by the meter,    see if it is damaged in any way,     if you can see where the earth ground goes into the ground, or connects to a pole into the ground look at those junctions,      

If you see nothing and can see the rod for the earth from the meter,     get a hose and water the ground around where the ground goes INTO THE GROUND  it might not fix it but it might IMPROVE it,   if so,    then there is a bad earth ground somewhere,       

Give me more history,  like did this start all at once,   did it get weak over time,  storms, any power outages,  things like that,        

It just seems like we are looking at a neutral problem somewhere,     check those things  and give me anything you see or suspect that you might be suspicious of,    it could be a loose connection in junction, but the stove not working would be on a dedicated circuit unless it is a rare 115 stove,

And I need to know where the dryer is,     and if all is total electric     no gas    we will continue from there,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses