Electrical Wiring in the Home/Using two 14-2 romex in place of 14-4

Question
QUESTION: I have a ceiling fan with two lights that I want to hard wire to three wall switches or a single triple switch unit (fan/uplight/downlight).  I know that they make a NM-B (Romex) cable that is 14-4 and used in a similar application for bathroom light/fan/heater combos, but it is hard to find, especially by the foot.  Is it acceptable to use two 14-2 cables and simply re-identify conductors in one of them at both ends (red and blue for example) so that I would have one neutral and three hot conductors?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Tim,

Technically it is not correct because you will have the neutral in one cable and not in the other plus your using two cable assemblies to make one. It will work and it is safe if its done right but do it this way and you'll be 100%. Use a 14-3 for the lights and a 14-2 for the fan. The fan and the lights may or may not share a common neutral up in the fan so if they do not you can add a second neutral by sliding another one down the stem of the fan where it comes out at the bottom by the light. Then you can have your separate neutral for the lights and a separate one for the fan. Each cable assembly is powering different components in the fan separately so your good to go.

Bob

QUESTION: Thanks, Bob.
To be clear, the fan unit does have a single (white) neutral, so the fan and lights do share this.  Are you saying that in this case it is ok to tie the two cable neutrals (one in 14-2, one in 14-3) together at the fan with the fan's neutral?
Or am I supposed to modify the fan unit so that it has two separate neutrals?  
Thanks.

Answer
Tim,

You should be able to easily add (modify) the second neutral for the lights. If that proves too difficult for some reason then tie the two cable neutrals together at the fan and splice the one white wire from the fan to the two cable neutrals (white wires).

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman