Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring Timer Switch for Porch Light

Question
Mr. Babbitt,
I went to wire a timer switch in a 2-gang electrical box and found 4 white wires soldered together in the box.  I think I need to attach the white wire on the current switch to this gang of wires, as the switch I am installing has only two black wires (to which I can attach the two black wires from the original switch).  How do I attach the white wire currently wired to the original switch to the gang of white wires that are soldered together?  

Thank you for your help...it is appreciated!

Jason

Answer
Jason, So you are timing out the outlet?   That is how I take it from the description.

The gang of whites is just the way they started the circuit,  it could have been in an upper fixture , it just depends,  

Now the timer most likely must be in series with the load  in other words if you were timing a light  the timer would wire in the black and out the white  

If you put a timer in parallel  white to white black to black   it wouldnt do ANYTHING    

sO YES THE WHITE COULD GO TO THE GANG OF WHITES BUT THE BLACK FROM TIMER TO LOAD HAS TO ROUTE THROUGH THE OUTLET OR WHATEVER YOU ARE TIMING   JUST LIKE A SIMPLE SWITCH   EXCEPT IT TIMES  

tHE hot leg   IS USED FOR SWITCH LEGS WHICH IS BLACK    SO IF YOU GO BLACK FROM TIMER TO LOAD AND THEN OUT THE OTHER SIDE YOU WILL BE FINE,

iT SHOULD BE WIRED LIKE A LIGHT SWITCH   in series  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt