Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electricial Panel

Question
Hello, thank you for generously offering your time.

Here is my question. I bought a house last year and the inspector told me if I was ever going to add anything I would have to put in a new service because my panel "Wadsworth" was full and very difficult to get breakers for.

I am going to have central air installed and the installer said that he could just add a seperate box off of the main panel to accommodate and it would be perfectly safe.

To complicate things, the 150 main was at sometime removed from the panel and covered with a plate and a double 100 breaker put in for the main.

My question is: Should I install the AC as the installer suggested? or look to have an entirely new service put in first?

Thank you so much
Kim

Answer
Nothing to think about. You already have a box of fudge. They should have changed the service when they couldn't get the main after it went south.

Install a new 200 amp service [don't let them sell you a 150], 40 circuit, full-size breaker, copper bus panel.

Make sure they include the grounding modifications in the price, so they don't add it as an "extra" later. These include 4 gauge copper to the water meter, water meter jumper, and ground rod

*
Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber