Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bypass/secondary power to a subpanel

kbenton wrote at 2014-05-15 17:49:41
Hello Bob,

Thanks again for the clear and concise answer.  After reading your response I went back and reviewed the manual for my UPS.  It is an older model APC Matrix 5000 made up of two units... an Isolation Unit (IU) and an Electronics Unit (EU)(along with battery packs of course). The IU contains the isolation transformer, EMI/RFI filtering, surge suppression circuits, and bypass circuits.  The EU contains the microprocessor, inverter, battery charger, transfer and tap changing circuits, and various interfaces.

In normal operating mode the UPS acts just the way you described in your reply, however when the system is in Bypass mode only the IU is in use and the EU is taken out of the circuit. The IU will continue to condition the input/output load but will not provide any protection from sags, swells, or blackouts.  In fact the UPS system is designed so the EU can be placed in Bypass mode and then separated from the IU for repair/replacement.  Of course the flaw in this is if you need to work on the IU then you still need to shutdown the load running through the IU and to the mission critical system.

What I would like to do is place the UPS in Bypass mode (cutting the inverter and batteries out of the circuit), bypass the load at the subpanel via the 30 amp breaker in the main panel and then de-energize the whole gen/ups circuit so I can do maintenance on the components in the circuit (and perhaps reconfigure the whole circuit to make it easier to maintain).

Keith

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman