Electrical Wiring in the Home/GFCI

Hi I hope you can answer my question. I have a regular outlet in my bathroom. When I go to shave it sometime trips the Outlet and I have to go outside to the GFCI in the garage and push the reset button then I have to walk all the way back inside and finish shaving. I don't mind it I just hate it trips everytime I shave. So my question is can I add a GFCI outlet to my bathroom so I don't have to walk all the way out to the garage and reset it. Also if that is ok can I keep the GFCI the same out in the garage. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

I'm sorry this is reaching you late but I answered your question and then the system here lost it before I could send it to you. I thought those days were gone but it reared its ugly head again. Very frustrating.

You have to shut that circuit off and see exactly what is on it and get a feel for how the circuit is routed. If the cable from the GFI outside goes directly to the one in the bath room you can install an independant GFI in the bathroom. Then you must take the new bathroom GFI off the "load" terminals of the GFI outside and connect them to the "line" terminals so you don't have redundancy. If the bathroom GFI goes on to feed other receptacle's you must put the wires for them on the "load" terminals of the the GFI in the bath room. If you have only the one cable coming in from the outside GFI then you don't have to do anything.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.