Electrical Wiring in the Home/light switch


Hi.  I have a three way switch in our kitchen that controls the two fluorescent circle lights (32w and 22w) and the outside porch light.  For the past couple of weeks, I have noticed the switch feels very slightly warm after it has been on for five or six hours.  I know that a hot switch is dangerous, but I wasn't sure if switches ever generate heat after periods of use.  The switch isn't a dimmer but is an older switch.  I will have someone come check the connections, but it will be a few day before I have someone can come out.  As long as I don't use the switch, it is safe to wait or is this is a situation that should be dealt with immediately.  

Thank you!


If you don't turn the lights on, then it should not be warm. If you turn the lights on from the other switch, the current still goes through the switch that is getting warm. I would try not to use the lights, and make sure it is still not warm.  Also, be sure to rule out that the heat is not coming from another source, such as the sun beating down on the other side of the wall.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.