Electrical Wiring in the Home/no power at light


This a single overhead light in the garage. The light was working fine until later this past winter. I have tried new bulbs but nothing works. I purchased a porcelain light fixture. I took off the old one and tested the wires with the switch off and had no power. I turned on the switch and I had power when I tested the wires with a small circuit light tester. I attached the new light socket and still the light would not come on. I tested the light with the socket attached and the tested did not lite when the switch was turned on. I even tried the other switch and same results. Disconnected the lite socket and again tested both switches and had power to the wires.

If you are getting readings, you probably have a disconnected white wire somewhere in the circuit.  You can get just enough current from the feedback to light the tester, but not enough to light the light.  Check all white wires under the wire nuts, and where it may connect to any outlets on the circuit.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.