Electrical Wiring in the Home/Receptacle conversion

Question
Have a bad receptacle and I want to replace with a TR USB Charger/receptacle.  The current receptacle was upper- on continuous and lower- wall switch controlled.  What is proper means to close or cap off the switch controlled lower section?

Answer
Hi.

If it was wired in the normal way, there should be a red wire going to the outlet that is on the switch.  If the wire goes straight to the outlet, put a wire nut on it.  If there are two red wires capped together with another short piece going to the outlet, remove the short piece and reconnect the red wires.  That will leave black and white wires for the new outlet.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle