Electrical Wiring in the Home/mobilehome electrical problem

Question
came home to kitchen& laundry room lights & 110v plug for stove not working.also exterior plug with gfci. changed gfci, no lights. found jumping white wire to bare wire I got power.checked with volt meter. black wire on breaker, white on ground bar, bare wire on ground connected to pannel box. checked black to white & black to bare, got 120v. checked white to bare,no voltage. checked light switch nearest to panel box found 120v on black to bare,no voltage on black to white, & 120v on white to bare wire with volt meter. does this mean I have black & white shorted together? THANKS for any help you can give.

Answer
Hi.

It sounds like the white wire is loose somewhere and not making contact.  Check all of the wire nuts and anywhere the white wire is pushed into the back of an outlet. If the white wires are pushed into the back of the outlet, you may want to move them to the screws on the side, because sometimes the gripper gripping the wire stop gripping.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle