Electrical Wiring in the Home/RUN A 4 WIRE FROM BREAKER TO kITCHEN

I purchased a new stove and had a 30 year old GenAir.  Didn't have a 3 wire or 4 wire plug, just a cord.  Got a bid from an Electritian to run the 4 Wire from the breaker to the Kitchen and fix 3 plugs in the kitechen of $2300.  I have been told that is way high?  Do you agree?  This is Houston, TX

Patricia,  if we figure portal to portal charges,  the time it takes to get your location and the time it takes to return the shop,   and an average rate of $100 per man hour, could be lower or higher dependent on area  but lets use that for now,  that is 23 hours less materials, wire, plugs misc      24 hours would one man working for THREE 8 hour days,  or two for a full day and one half,      

It is possible but not probable that the routing of wire and installation of a plug, would take three solid days,    Now I have no idea if the kitchen is a far distance from the incoming panel, if the house has add ons,  new walls, barriers to deal with,  but again three full days less wire and a plug  and a new double breaker   is mainly up to the distance,  4 wire or three with ground is fairly expensive per foot,   your outlet $50  your breaker $100   plus the wire used in linear feet,   so if you have a 100 foot long house with the power entrance at one end and the kitchen at the other than over 100 feet of fairly large wire in the loom,   

Is there a walkable accessible attic?  Some attics are only accessible by crawling,  and the type of service you currently have will make a difference,     

You say you only have a plug, which I assume is a simple 115 volt plug?   Or is the old GenAir 220 volts also?

How old is your home,  any chance there is old knob and tube wiring?  The GenAir is 30 years old,  still a bit past the old knob and tube  30 years ago knob and tube was not being installed,  so I doubt it,    

I am just trying to break this out for you to justify or not,         

It seems excessive to me,      a simple solution is to install a new run up from the main, through the attic, and down the wall next to or in a suitable spot near the old plug, either keeping it as another circuit or replacing it,     

But I am curios is the old plain cord 115 or 220  it could be either,  most GenAirs are 220

Now there is the possible change of any overhead microwaves or logistics like that,   but it seems to me a new circuit run through an attic  maybe a crawl space, a basement,  whatever  would NOT take say 20 hours even,    the rest for materials,    

Here is what I would do,  find some personal references,   use one of those services like whomevers list    but personal references are better in my opinion,     get two  tops three,   

When you find the companies,  do not allow them to simply come to you,   once you are getting an estimate,  at the very least  drive by the address and see where that service truck is coming from,  I would just walk in and see if looked like a one man band or a professional business,  and you cannot tell if you don't go to them     don't let a truck be your decision, one startup with one truck could look nice but maybe they are having start up costs and trying to get them from you,   but go to whomever and take a look      that will tell you a lot,    

When you get your next two quotes which I think should be adequate,  have them itemize and justify the costs,   are they dealing with blocking walls,  is the old service not adequate [not likely but possible]  find out what all this $2300 bucks is getting you or what they have to overcome to get the wire to the new outlet,      

Also remember the lowest price might not be the best deal either,  that is why you go to them not just them to you, find out who and what their shop looks like,          

Now at the end of this is my personal email, if you keep getting thousands of dollars in bids for one circuit,  I would like to see what the deal is,   maybe if it is that horrible it is justified for some reason we do not understand at this point, but I am sure I can take the estimates and figure out what is going on,  there is no shame in having the estimate of this size justified and itemized,     remember their markup on parts is going to be most likely higher than you can buy at the local hardware store but sometimes they are too much of markup,      

Maybe your service needs upgraded,   or something else is going on,  

To summarize,     I want to know if the existing circuit is 220,  how far to mains,  what the access is like  [attic, basement, crawl space, all   none ?]  Is the intention to "fish" the new circuit through the existing?  I doubt that too, as the new wire is much more likely to be much larger than the old,    plus it is stapled in   to studs in the walls but your local codes may allow you to just leave the old wiring,  or again leave it as a useable plug and install another next to it or in a location that will serve the new oven,   

I understand the benefits of a GenAir, but have you considered dual fuel, where the oven or ovens are electric  and the cooktop gas,   ?  Very economical,  not trying to say anything bad about GenAir,   just offering other options that might work out better for you in a trade off,  

Feel free to contact me back through ALL Experts,  or feel free to use my personal email so we can talk much easier,       I will be happy to help guide you, explain, even talk to the vendor myself,    just seems like a lot for one outlet,       

At the same time, when the GenAir is out, dual fuel or not, if there is not a gas stub behind the stove, it might be a good time to think about having one installed,  it is an adder for resale, and an option if you ever need a gas stove or appliance for whatever reason,  just something to consider while the space is going to be open,   if it only takes a plumber a short run to stick a stub in there,  it might be cost effective,       

Feel free to let me know how things go, and what help you need of any kind,     I would get at least two more,   you have one,  see how the other two compare and if they vary a lot   you may want to let me look at all of them        remember again,     the cheaper bid is not always the best          Will  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses