Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring

Question
how do i wire a breakdown box for 220v to 110v job site gain box

Answer
Jeremy here is a link     this link is for a house to garage subpanel but it is the same thing    basically you will have some sort of twist connector I am assuming from a generator,  depending on the amps determines the type of the mating connectors,   from gen to subpanel,    once you obtain the subpanel of the correct amperage you need  and if distance is involved,  make sure to compensate the wire size for the distance,   

Once you get your "pigtail" or main incoming 220 feed,   you would wire it just as described in this house to garage subpanel,     the house is the gen,  the garage is the breakdown box more commonly known as a subpanel,      you will run 220 with nuetral and common ground to a main breaker in the box,    then divide up as many sub breakers with one hot and neutral

The best way is to run four wires   using the nuetral and then the earth ground for a job site,   that way you have extended the safety ground and not split the 110 out using earth ground but neutral,   

Depending on your locations there may be local codes that control how the box must be wired beyond the local NEC   so some homework on the NEC in the area you use this must be followed,         

try this link and see if it makes sense to you     if not I will find another one versus trying to type this all out,         safety is number one,  you might want a gfci on the 110 circuits at a gang box location   or the local code may require temp outside boxes have GFCI protection,      I would do it for protection even if not mandated     

http://www.ehow.com/how_5312325_connect-house-panel-garage-panel.html

Any concerns or if you have problems with the concept of the garage versus the supply you are starting with,   let me know,     it is pretty much the same as a home subpanel only portable with the 220 source be it building or generator      whatever the main supply is or comes from dictates the amperages you will be able to use,   and the proper wire size for the loads and length,     

Let me know how you get along  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt