Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bad circuit

Bob, a bedroom light was losing power intermittently for a few weeks. Now it's completely out, along with a few outlets in the same general area. Breakers are all okay. I had the breaker box replaced a couple years ago, so I don't think that's the problem. Could a bad or shorted outlet be the problem for the entire area? I've always replaced outlets and switches myself and have never had a problem. I don't want to call an electrician if the problem might be relatively simple. I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks for your time.

You probably have a bad connection, either in a wire nut or at an outlet.  If the wires are pushed into the back of the outlets instead of wired to the side screws, that could be a problem.  You also can't rule out something that is working on the circuit, because it could be the wire leaving a working outlet that is not making contact.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.