Electrical Wiring in the Home/installing 4 ceiling fans with lights

Question
I've installed a ceiling fans in each of my 4 bedrooms upstairs. Did mine first in the master, with remote, works great. Did the middle room with remote...seems to work great. Did the far room and that works good no remote. Trying to do the room nearest to the master...wires have power 120v, but as soon as I attach the fan wires to it..the voltage goes away and I get no power at all. My middle room seems to have surges at times and you can hear the light make noise when it is lit. I double checked the wiring for loose wire, but nothing is wrong. Is there a solution? My switches were dimmers, but I no longer need to dim...should I change my switches? Will this help?

Answer
Working backwards on the question; You should only dim a motor that is designed to be dimmed and with the proper dimming device. Typically, ceiling fans are designed to work off of a selector switch (high, med, low and reverse) not a dimmer.

So I would recommend getting rid of the dimmer, unless the dimmer is for the light only.

Something that is usually overlooked when adding loads is the question, "can the wiring support the new loads?"

Are all the new fans on the same circuit? What else is on that circuit? What is the total load on that circuit? What is the circuit rated (15 amps, 20 amps, etc)

What type of bulb are you using that is making the noise?

Ahh, the disappearing voltage. Actually what you are reading is a difference of potential. For example; If you put one probe of your meter on the hot wire and then put the other probe a few inches away on the same wire you will get no voltage reading because their is no potential.
However, if you put the other probe on the neutral wire you get the reading of the potential (110 volts, etc).

Were the power boxes prewired in the ceiling or did you run the wires to a new box for the fans?

The reason I ask is that you want to make sure none of the lights are in series with each other, and you want to make sure there are no reversing of polarity.

The surging is not good. It could be from a loose wire, it could be that you have a multi-circuit (meaning that two hots share the same neutral) and it was not wired correctly. A multi-circuit should be wired at the panel with a double pole breaker that are linked so they will both trip if one trips.

An improper multi-circuit can give you surges especially if the neutral is loose or broken.

I have seen people accidently tie two circuits that are on different phases and they did it with a three way switch. Not that you have done that, I am just saying there are a lot of things to look at.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes