Electrical Wiring in the Home/Repair craftman motor model 62855

Question
The motor on my Sears Craftsman direct drive table saw has apparently seized up.  I was using it today to rip a number of narrow wood strips.  There was no obvious problem with the saw.  After shutting down to get another board the saw would not re- start.  I disconnected/removed the direct drive and retried turning on the saw.  Again it would not start and a light on the same circuit dimmed indicating there was a power draw.  

After reading a previous answer re this model motor I wish to know if repair is possible and where it can be done.  

Saw model number 113241680
Serial #/manufacturing data  6192 PO596

Motor Mfg model C55OFC2045
???? Number    651954
Mf # 06563

In advance thank you for your response to this question and guidance in solving the problem.

Bob Wheeler

Answer
Original answer below approx half way down page:

Bob, it is amazing how crap gets sucked up in an electric motor.  The process has to be done with some care, and can only be done WITHOUT disassembly if the motor is an open drip or vented motor,  and dry air must be used,  or if damp compressed air is introduced, let the motor dry for a few days   or you can CAREFULLY  turn on a stove  [remember you will probably have to clean the over to remove the smell that may come]   

Turn on oven to lowest temp,    set motor on a substantial cookie sheet or other flat metal.

When oven reaches temp most ovens only allow 170f to prevent un wdercooking, which is fine.

Never bake a motor or windings over boiling temp,  if any moisture is trapped in the windings, it could force the moisture to pop the insulation.

Once the oven is up to temp,  shut IT OFF.  Place motor in oven until it cools normally.  Times will vary     the reason for this is not to bring a warm motor out and then suck humidity into it.

Try to blow out the motor where it is blown from intake air vents to relief air vents,  while rotating the shaft,     

At times it will free the motor,   but may blow some contamination in between the starting contacts if so equipped,  not to worry,  if it energized before and was simply locked with crap,  and some gets between the contacts  it may try to start slowly SLOWLY on the run windings,   continue to blow while rotating the shaft,  and eventually you will blow the contaminant from in between the contacts on the start switch.

Glad you were successful,  and now that we know you have oil in the motor,  it might be a good time to either have the motor taken apart or do it yourself, but that oil will continue to attract junk,     

And where did the oil come from?   Motors with plain or sleeve bearings should only need a few drops of multi use oil,    a couple times a year,    it is captured in wicking on small motors,  larger motors have sight glasses to check the oil level,    so you want to make sure the wicking is damp with oil  but not to squirt a half gallon of oil in a small motor,    

[we have found industrial motors which need grease for ball bearings FULL OF GREASE  [we are talking a literal bucket of grease]   

Point is do not over lube    it causes more problems than under lubing,    

Never use a compressed air blower tip into the motor where it could jab the windings or break a lead or component.

Now think about the motors under your fridge,  your washer, dryer, freezer, attic fan, furnace, condensing unit,  on and on,  we all have a ton of motors      a somewhat daunting task list but more motors fail from external contamination than about anything,     

If the motor blows fairly dry   probably ok    but if extremely oily or wet  it should be taken apart and cleaned out and baked

Now once you have the oily mess out    try it again in 4 hours of use     if more comes out,  do it again,   and again     once no more of anything exits the motor,   simply running the motor to temp will help dry it out,       if you can figure a way to run the motor outside on a bright sunny day that will help dry it too,        

Motors are not that hard to take apart   just no force is needed   at least on the housings to stator,   the pulley can become rusted and coupling halves can become stuck but the motor should come apart at least an inch   if it sticks when removing a housing  there is probably a wire attached from stator to housing  so look in the open area,      

once apart  you can clean the winding with a fast drying solvent  brake cleaner will work but dont soak it,  clean it,      even soap and water will work  but you must dry out the wiring and windings  so have a plan,  before getting a winding wet,      good job and I would and do take my critical motors apart and clean them once a year,     

OEM furnace motors can run over $500.00    so consider it a paid job worth $500.00    

Good job  glad to hear it was the simple problem      if you have more problems let me know   those older saws were built a lot more tough than modern motors or entire devices   so keeping it up and running is just a matter of maintenance          good to hear you are back running

Bob,  if you heard  [over the normal loud noise when using the saw]  [a problem in itself being able to hear the motor]  was making some kind of unusual noise prior to the "lockup' it is most likely that a bearing or bearing and housing,   or bearing[s] housing[s] and or journal[s] have worn naturally out of tolerance.

A good motor repair shop in your area should be able to bush a housing, repair a journal and install a fresh set of bearings.

Second possible cause,  over time these motors tend to fill with dust and contaminates along with condensation and actually plug the very small gap between stator and rotor.

One thing you might try as a down and dirty and cheap fix      find some dry comnpressed air,  find if possible an opening to the inside of the motor  with hopefully an exit,    

Slowy turn the shaft by hand  while blowing the compressed air into the motor, it may dislodge any blockage and allow the motor to churn out the remainder,   it is worth a shot,  

But right now if the shaft has exessive shaft play  especially radially,   or in an axial direction,   the motor should come apart and be diagnoised.

Locked up is one thing, but looseness  is an absolute sign that a bearing has crashed or a housing or journal as above.

If you are skilled,  you can do the dismantel yourself with these tips,    take photos prior to and as you go and mark them for reassembly

Mark each compentent   use a small drill  less than 1/16 to mark mating positions   that way no chisels no distortion, and no magic markers to wear off,     then you have matched holes that line up going back together.

I cannot say if you had a bearing failure or just finally got enough junk in the motor to lock it   but it DOES HAPPEN     especially in a high humid enviroment, high humid materials  so on,     it just depends if you are locked up or have looseness FIRST   looseness   means repair,  locked up might be a simple blow out of the motor,    other than that find a local motor repair shop and get an estimate,   please contact with the price, and I will review for you,      if you decide to tackle on your own,  write me back through ABOUT or at my personal email and I will help walk you through it.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt