Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bathroom exhaust fan wiring

Question
Hi, would appreciate a bit of advice before I go ahead.
I have an exiting bathroom with one switch controlling two lights. I have just added a bathroom exhaust fan to this room and would like to wire this on a separate switch to work independently from the lights. I intend to install a double gang box to have both switches side x side. Since there is already 110V power across the existing switch can I just pigtail connections from there to the new switch to control the new fan? If you happen to have a sketch to avoid miscommunication on my part that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Don,

If there is only one cable (2 wires) in the existing switch box then you can not do what you propose. When you measure the voltage across the terminals of the switch while the switch is "off" you will get 110 volts. However when you turn the switch "on" you will notice the voltage is no longer there. In other words those two wires are providing a "switch leg" for the lights in order to turn them on and off. In order to have full power in your new 2 gang box
you will have to pick up a "steady feed" from the nearest easiest location where ever that is. Could be the attic or the basement. It may not necessarily be the bathroom wiring circuit your currently working with. Any existing lighting circuit in the house is fine that you can easily reach. If that means the current circuit you are working on thats fine. You don't want to go farther than you have to or make it more difficult. Of course you don't want to tap into circuits like a 240 volt AC line or a dedicated 120 volt 20 amp dedicated line for a bath room receptacle. You need to be sure about what it is your connecting to.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman