Electrical Wiring in the Home/Hard Wiring a lamp with a polarized plug

Question
Hi - we recently purchased two wall lamps that I've been intending to hard wire into two wall sconce boxes.  When I received the lamps I found that they have polarized plugs.  Is it possible to remove the plugs and hard wire the lamps into the wall sconces boxes?

Answer
Hi.

Yes, it is possible.  The wire that goes to the bottom button of the socket would go to the black, and the wire that goes to the screw shell would go to the white.

Now, I don't know if it would meet code and pass inspection.  Different people might have different opinions, and it depends on the construction if it can be done safely.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle