Electrical Wiring in the Home/One Switch for 2 Fans

Question
I'm trying to wire 2 ceiling fans (no lights) with one controller switch.

The controller is wired between the 2 fans ... 12/2 going to fan 1, then feeding 12/3 to the switch, then 12/2  back to fan 2.  

As currently wired, as soon as I energize the breaker the fans come on ... so I have something wrong at either the switch or fan 1.  At fan 1 I have the red wire connected to the blacks.  The switch controller is a bit trickier as it's a speed control - like a rheostat.  I have the red wire from fan 1 also connected w/ the blacks.  Is this where I've made my error?  

Thanks for your help!

Answer
Okay, so the power enters fan one, then to the speed control, and then to fan two?

At fan one, the red wire should connect to the black fan wire, white to white, and the black coming in connects to the black going to the control.  At the speed control, the black from fan one to one wire of the speed control.  The red from fan one and the black from fan two to the other wire of the control.  White to white.  At fan two, black to black, white to white.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle