Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electrical wiring

Question
Our house has 3 bathrooms on the third floor, all on one circuit. As a result when multiple hair dryers are used the circuit overloads. We are going to solve that by putting all of them on separate circuits. The issue is that it's tough to run the wire from the basement up to the attic so it can come down to the bathrooms. Our electrician has suggested running the wire outside (using outdoor wire), up the side of the house and into the attic. They say they do this regularly. I've never heard of that, and would appreciate your thoughts on whether it's an acceptable solution. Thanks, Harrison

Answer
Harrison,

Yes that is usually done as a last resort when there is no practical way to get the cables up from the inside to the attic. Having pipes or cables on the side of your home isn't very attractive and something most people want to keep to an absolute minimum. A cable especially because it will not stay straight for long. If you absolutely must have something on the outside insist on conduit.

When your electrician says they do this on a regular basis that suggests to me they may not be skilled at "fishing" wires between floors or have people in their employ who can do it in a timely manner. Doing it on the outside is very direct and you know what you have to do. Knowing how to get a cable to the attic from the basement can be done in the same amount of time or usually less because there is no ladder work. But again this all depends on the skill level and experience of the installer. A qualified installer with the right tools and experience can do it. You might want to try getting another opinion.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman