Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electronic timer switch

Question
QUESTION: I have a Leviton electronic timer (6124H-W) switch operating three outdoor lights that I want to replace with a normal switch. Here is how it is wired:
- Three wires come into the box.
- The three white wires are connected together and go to the white wire on the switch.
- The first and second black wires are connected and go to the black wire on the switch.
- The middle black wire goes to the blue wire on the switch.

When connecting the wires to a normal switch I don't know what to do with the black wires. I tried putting all three black wires together and all three white together then running a short piece of wire from them to the connectors on the switch but  it didn't work as the breaker switch flipped to off.

I think it has something to do with the black wires being hot but I am not sure as this is very confusing to me. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

ANSWER: Hi.

Remove the pigtail from the white wires.  It does not connect to your plain switch.  The black wire going to the light connects to one side of the switch. The other two black wires get hooked together and can be pigtailed to your switch.  If the switch controls anything other than the light, you have the wrong black wire on the switch screw that is by itself.

QUESTION: So I just leave the three white wires together with a wire connector on them? Why are they not used? As for the black wires, how do I know which two go together?

Thank you

Answer
Yes. Neutral (white) wires do not go to switches, unless they are needed for the timer motor. Just connect them together. It is probably the black wire that connected to the blue.  You can use trial and error until the switch turns off just what you want to turn off.  If it turns off other things on the circuit, you used the wrong one.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle