Electrical Wiring in the Home/house wiring

Question
while using an exercise machine the GFCI tripped on a preceding outlet.  I reset the GFCI but the the outlet I was using still did not work.  the outlet I am using is 2 down line from outlet with GFCI.  When I checked the first one down line it checked good with a meter however when I plugged something in to one side of that outlet and tested remaining side tester flashed (hot/grd reversed).  Testing the next outlet, the one that exercise machine was plugged in to it read (hot/neu reverse) uttil I plugged something in preceding outlet then tester read (hot/grd rev).  These outlets had been replaced two years ago and have been used with no problems.  Nothing new was added to equation it just suddenly went out today.  Appreciate any helpful info you can give.  House built in 1980.  No previous electrical problems and no rewiring done except for outlet replacement two years ago.  Thanks , Pat

Answer
Hi.

You have a neutral disconnected or not making contact somewhere on the circuit.  Check all of the white wires.  If the wires are pushed into the backs of the outlets, take them out and connect them to the screws on the sides.  If there are any wire nuts with white wires in them, check them to make sure all the wires are making contact.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle