Electrical Wiring in the Home/low voltage on line 1

Question
I work as a maintenance supervisor at a large apartment complex. I went to a no heat call at night. I found a grounded to shell compressor.  When I checked the source voltage Line 1 read 103 volts at the breaker bus bar and line 2 read 125volts.  I did not start unit up for fear I might damage the rest of the AC motors. The main breaker is outside next to the meter. I did not take a voltage reading there.  I called the power company the next morning and they said they had not had a problem in the area the night before. Replaced compressor that morning. Checked voltage on line 1 lug and it read 125volts. Should I be concerned and check something else.

Answer
Are you saying one side of the feed is 125 VAC and the other 103?

That would not be the first thing I would be concerned with as to causing a grounded winding, in a semi hermetic compressor,  but yes both hots should be equal  above or below median is important but something is causing the voltage to be off by a lot,   MOST utilities will scream they have never sent a wrong volt since their creation,  but on your side start looking for high resistance neutrals    once you find a problem    if you find a problem   it should be fairly simple to follow back     my guess is you will either find a neutral problem that is easy to identify  or the power incoming is not right,        

look around and let me know what you find  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt