Electrical Wiring in the Home/Repairing of hair clipper

Question
Wahl clipper parts
Wahl clipper parts  
I have a hair clipper model is Wahl Icon hair clipper. It is a corded hair clipper. Recently bought thru online frm USA bUt voltage was too small using in Singapore. My clipper is nt able to move even switching on n off again. I Oso do saw sparks n smelling of burnt from the clipper. When I opened up my clipper of the body, the coil of the machine was seem to be burnt n fry. Is there any suggestions o ways to repair it?

Answer
Felili

I can see what appears to be a darkened area around the center of the large coil?

IF I KNEW it was simply a burnt coil,   and IF the coil could be removed,   and IF it was wound on some sort of plastic spool    then the coil could be unwound   by hand,   the turns must be counted  so mark a corner and each unwrap is a turn,    make sure at the connector it is one wire,  and the coil is wound with one wire,   so check it back into the coil  as sometimes they use a larger wire to crimp at the terminal    if it is wound with one wire,   then it gets wound back with X turns of one wire, if two wires  then wound back with two wires of X turns,    if more than one wire  check each wire size to make sure both are the same,     it is MAGNET wire,  it could be any size[s] even what they call half size wire,    normal sizes would be anywhere from 46 or smaller to maybe 21 or larger   and if two  one could be a 46 and the other a 45  or a 46.5  and 47       you need a micrometer with the outer insulation which looks like copper but is insulation   it can be burnt off with a cigar lighter,     or it could be METRIC wire    same thing as above          once you establish the exact wire size[s]   and the exact turns   [if you miss by a few turns should not be important     it depends on the total  if the turns are 100 no more than a few  1 or 2,   1000   4 to 10 but be as accurate as possible,  to rewind   obtain the exact wire,  magnet wire       it would be best if you have a spool   to form a wood block   that fits the bore of the spool tight  then drill a hole through the block and chuck in a low speed drill or lathe or wind back with tension  by hand,   

That would take care of the main coil,  but if it blew any electronic part, that part would need replaced,    it is likely that something other than the coil is damaged,     

Is there not a small appliance repair shop to take it?

I know these devices can be very inexpensive to very expensive     Wahl generally not so expensive,         but what are you going to do different to keep it from happening again?

A voltage transformer for overseas small appliances?   Do you know what the device is you need now to not do this damage again?

Next  maybe the device was just not built properly,   can you try a warranty   is there a warranty contact,  most times they will just replace the unit versus the time and effort to diagnose,       so you might try that,     personally  I would either buy another one and get whatever you need to convert to the right voltage or send for warranty or at least phone call for warranty,       just too many other possible electronic components that could have failed along with the coil,        and the labor and skill to diagnose is considerable,   but if you want to try it  get the turns and wire size and form a jig to wind it back        

Let me know if you get in trouble during the process and I will help you but the simple solution is a new unit, or a warranty replacement      try the warranty first  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt