Electrical Wiring in the Home/replace old style 3 way switch

Question
top
top  

bottom
bottom  
I have an old style 3 way switch that has bx cable, red white and black wires and the screws on the top and bottom not the sides. I need to know where and which wires get connected to the new style switch. and I would like to know which wire is the power -
I have attached pictures of the old switch

you assistance is very much appreciated!

Answer
Tom,    you know the drill, you got a voltmeter?  Get a cheapo in the discount shelves for five bucks at any hardware store,  a meter makes things so much easier,

Instead of me writing this all out step by step  here are some much easier sources of reference with videos,  and some of the best ones      first identify the source of the power,      once you have that it is pretty much all done,  one hot two travclers,         

First identify the hot wires,  

is the power fed to one of the boxes or is the power at the load?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBejnPtYuAk  IDENTIFY HOT WIRE VIDEO

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20336010,00.html      VIDEO

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-replace-a-threeway-light-switch.htm   DIAGRAM

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/push-button-switch OLD STYLE PUSH BUTTON

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/push-button-switch  WIKI DIAGRAM AND ID

http://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring-switches/how-to-wire-a-threeway-

Above DIAGRAM CHOICES POWER AT LOAD    POWER AT SWITCH BOX    

http://www.electrical-online.com/3-way-switch-wiring-diagram-variation-3/  DIAGRAM ID

If you are still stuck let me know,   no way I can tell where the power is routed,   the videos will show you how to identify,      the power is either at the switch box or at the light load,      but pretty much the same after that   and also explains colors but YOU will have to identify hot     if you cannot get it,    let me know
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt