Electrical Wiring in the Home/Several light fixtures upstairs stopped working

Hi our home is about 8 years old. When we first moved in, 4 years ago, one of the upstairs light fixtures did not work. Recently, we had some other light fixtures go out. I thought the bulbs burnt out. They use the 4 pin light bulbs. Replaced the light bulbs yesterday, but still not working. One light is in the master bath, one right outside the master bedroom and 2 in the loft area. Any advice on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated! Thank you!

Karey,   most likey it is a neutral connection located in some switch box or outlet,   say there were 6 white neutrals all under one wire nut,  they can come loose and one by one the circuits open,  before you go tracking down the box where the power is distributed from  did you check for switchable fixtures,  somewhere behind a chest of drawers or anywhere?  You would be amazed the number of switched outlets and fixtures that go unnoticed,       but say there are none,  now are there any GFCI outlets that could be failing?    Fixtures and other outlets can be on a GFCI  they should be marked as such  an fixtures are not likely but check the simple things first like  all GFCIs  no matter where they are,   make sure a breaker is not half tripped,  so on,       once you verified the simple things,  then you have to find if the power is bundled from the switch box,   or the fixture or a couple fixtures,  and again it sounds like one bundle of white wires has come loose,          

But to find it,  you need the house schematic or you need to check each one by one and for safety reasons      and no more work than it is     start with the easiest switch box, or the outlet, that is simple to get to  start checking connections and looking for any signs of arcing  darkened wires so on,  

But since these are gong out one by one,   it really sounds like a bundled bunch of neutral wires has come loose    once you find it   then make sure nothing is arced or burnt  if so repair or cut off the bad spots if enough wire is left,     if you find anything massive,   get an electrician   but often now days they put too many wires in one wire nut, shove all that in an outlet   in a switch box or even a fixture,          the electrician decides where to feed from    so if you have the house wiring scheme       so much the easier,   

As you check off the simple stuff,   GFCI   switched fixtures or outlets,   and it is none of those  then cover by cover you start looking  or you can get a non contact voltage tracer it beeps until the power is no longer there   they cost about $50 for a semi decent one,   it makes tracing though sheet rock much much easier    but I bet you will find where ever they fed from   there is a bunch of white wires that have come loose   just too many wires under one wire nut,       that is the most likely  

As you go,  let me know what you find or suspect and we can talk it over,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses