Electrical Wiring in the Home/air compressor with century motor

Question
I have an air compressor with a 5hp motor (I think) I cannot find hp rating on tag.The guy that gave me this said that it needed to run on 220, the tag says 230 volts, does this mean it has to run on 220 or 110. Also I only see a black and white wire if this is suppose to run on 220 how does it get wired with no red wire?

Answer
Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is fire in a box! Death on a leash!
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
*
You stated "I have an air compressor with a 5hp motor (I think) I cannot find hp rating on tag."
My number one rule is "Never guess!" If you don't know what size motor it is, you can't know what size wire to run or what rating the circuit protection has to have.

"The guy that gave me this said that it needed to run on 220, the tag says 230 volts, does this mean it has to run on 220 or 110." If someone reads a bag that says ten pounds and tells you it says seven pounds and you read the bag and it says ten pounds, how much does the bag weigh? ...and why would 110 volts come into this in any case?

"Also I only see a black and white wire if this is suppose to run on 220 how does it get wired with no red wire?" The color of the plastic coating on the conductor really has nothing to do with anything. They could both be purple or yellow or red or blue or black.

All this aside, I counsel those with some degree of practical knowledge and an initial theory or a troubleshooting issue. I clearly state I don't teach basics to novices. My counsel to you is to hire a professional electrician.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber