Electrical Wiring in the Home/Kitchen light

Question
My fluorescent kitchen light had water damage and won't light when it is turned on. I had an electrician come to look at it and he sugest replacing the balast and bulb or buying a whole new light fixture. Can you comment on the avisability of one over the other procedures. Do floresescent last longer than regular light fixtures? Do FL provide better lighting?

Answer
Fluorescents put out more light at less cost than incandescents.  You can also buy an incandescent fixture and use either CFL or LED bulbs and get around the same effect.

Unless you are totally in love with the old fixture, I would replace the whole thing.  The newer ones have electronics ballasts which are better and more efficient than the older ones. It would probably cost more to replace the ballast, and the newer one would look better.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle