Electrical Wiring in the Home/Outdoor flood lights

Hey there!  We have a set of two motion sensitive, hard wired flood lights on each corner of our home.  They come on at dusk and get brighter if there is motion.  They suddenly all stopped working.  We thought it was odd that the bulbs would all go out at the same time, but we bought new bulbs anyway.  The bulbs are the same ones I've always bought (inside/outside) and used one inside so we know we didn't get eight defective bulbs.  Circuit breakers are good, no recent wiring changes, other than 14 days of relentless rain, nothing else has changed.  The house was built six years ago; could the units themselves all have gone bad at the same time?  Thanks for your time!

Robert Wilber
Philadelphia Licensed Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
Electricity is fire in a box! Death on a leash!
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
Let me here first state that I believe the first best use for motion sensors is as land-fill.

The units certainly could have gone bad after six years, but both together? If they did it is probably due to a surge - lightning, etc.

What occurs to me as the most likely cause is a failed splice in either the hot or neutral of the circuit. It could be anywhere from the panel to the last common point, maybe an exterior junction box at one of the fixtures. It could be a broken conductor at an over-driven staple [unlikely]. Are these controlled by a switch anywhere?

I encourage you to secure the services of a competent, qualified electrician.

Good luck
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair