Electrical Wiring in the Home/THERMOATAT MAIN PANEL


Greg Hi I'm looking to install a AUBE Thermoatat, I'm replacing a manual thermostat for base board heating. According to the manual for floor applications a ground protection device should be installed in the main panel.  Since I'm replacing one thermostat with another do I still need ground protection. Thanks for your help. Kenny

Some models have a built in GFCI, but you did not tell me which model you have so I cannot tell.

If it does not have a built in GFCI, you will need to replace your circuit breaker in the panel with a GFCI breaker.

So why does this one need a GFCI when your old one didn't?
All I can tell you is that we use to not put GFCI outlets near sinks but we do now. So we learn as we go.

Better safe than sorry.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.