Electrical Wiring in the Home/voltage tester

Question
QUESTION: Mr Wilber I would like to know if there is a dependable voltage tester that would target a wire behind my drywall.Thank you
         Glenn Hennson

ANSWER: What is the problem you are trying to solve?
What do you mean by "target" a wire?

QUESTION: I would like to find out if there is any electric wires behind my drywall and where they are  as I want to install shelves on my garage wall and I do not trust that there are the metal plates over the studs if there were wires there.I do not want to chance putting a screw into a wire

Answer
I have never seen a voltage detector that would reliably locate energized cables in a wall. Most only work with close access to the cable, which suggests it is exposed, in which case you don't need the tester....
I have often traced cables with a circuit tracer, but I don't know how well the $69.95 models will work for you. I have a professional grade device which cost much more and still requires imagination and practice to use effectively.
Since it is the garage wall, it may be relatively easy to figure out where there may be wires, however.
I invite you to send photos of the area where you want to install the shelving and the reverse side of the wall if it is an interior wall backing up to an interior room.
Send them to robert@wilberelectrical.com
Also, give me an idea of what is above these areas and where your service enters, garage or basement.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber