Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring for outlets

Trying to reconnect wires cut to outlets after a wall was removed. Both the black and white wires are hot. It is a two wire circuit. What could the problem be?

Make sure they are not 220 volt outlets, which would have 2 hot wires.

Many times, when the white wire is disconnected, the white wire will appear hot because of feedback.

Make sure it is not a wire going to a switch.

Make sure that the wire was not damaged or misconnected.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.