Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical problem


So a few months ago I spliced onto a hot wire for a smart home iPod charging station and all worked good until about 3 weeks ago...the line is still hot coming and going from the outlet and I have replaced the outletbut stilll nothing when I plug into it...the line must have been for exteriorlights because tthey won't come on either...in out of answers myself so I'm looking for some advice please

You really can't just tap into any wire. If it is a switch loop, it may not work, or you may have an outlet that is in series with lights.  If it is a 220 volt line, it could damage whatever is plugged into it.  I hope that you used a junction box when you tapped into it.  If the wires are showing hot, you may have a white wire that is not making contact somewhere.  You should check and make sure you have power between the black and the white both at the outlet, and where the wires comes from. Check for lose white wires.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.