Electrical Wiring in the Home/240 Volt Electricity

Question
I had a water heater replaced by a reputable plumbing firm. The installer told me that it is designed for 240 volts (like the old one), but it is only receiving 110 volts. According to him, the heater will take longer to replenish the hot water, because of this issue. When I look in the breaker box, I see that the circuit has a double pole breaker, like the ones that feed my other 240 volt appliances. There is also an on-off switch in the water heater compartment. Can you give me some ideas as to where the problem might be? Thank you for your generous help.

Answer
It will NEVER replenish at 120 because thete is no circuit.
If, as you say, there is a 2-pole breaker, then either the breaker is not letting one leg through or the switch at the heater is partially open.
...of course this assumes the wiring is intact..
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber