Electrical Wiring in the Home/changing a two switch two prong receptacle

Question
i have an oid 2 switch 2 prong rectacle that im changing to a combination 2 switch that one switch contols one light and the bottom switch controls another light. i have 1 black wire 2 white wires and one red wire. the old swtch had jumper wires. i dont know how to wire this switch without tripping the breaker i have several books on how to wire just about anything but cant find anything on this switch please help.

Answer
Steve..

just for your protection leave your last name off the question if it is truly your last name,   

I mean now days you never know,

Ok if it is simply two lights and two switches   from one spot,  most likely there is two pair,  can you identify the hot wires?  Do you know where the jumper wires went on the old swithes?

Absolutely sure one of the switches is not a three way?

So assuming it is just two switches with two individual loads or lights,  this should get you there:
Turn off the breaker inside the main breaker panel that supplies electricity to the light switch gang box.

Connect the two white wires inside the gang box together or this is one of the jumpers on the old set,   These are just bare copper ground wires  if you have them  Connect the three bare copper wires together

Find the two copper screws on the NEW combination two single pole light switch device that connect together with the copper metal tab [possible old jumper]. Wrap the black power supply wire around one of the copper screws. The power supply wire connects back to the main breaker panel.

Wrap the black wire from the original light fixture to the copper screw on the opposite side of the combination device. Wrap the black wire from the additional light fixture to the remaining screw on the opposite side of the device.

Now if you know where the old jumpers were  the shunt on the new may be the replacement of one of the former jumpers,   but with what info you gave we have to start somewhere

If you had a three way on one of the switches      any possibility?

Here is a video that does a really nice job of explaining how to do this  without you having to read and interpret written instructions,

Now one thing, normally that red wire  is a traveler wire for a three way circuit

If not a traveler it is likely a hot wire

Most likely it sounds like two pair,  white to black       red to white      load  load          

IF NOT   you let me know and we will figure out what you do have and get you fixed up  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt